Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cloth Diaper Update

     We have been using cloth diapers close to full-time (when we go out we use disposables and when grandmas babysit....other than that it is all cloth ;) for a couple of weeks. We are still gradually adding to our stash and recently made our first trip to a cloth diaper store. Oh the temptation! I was good though...only bought 1 CUTE Blueberry pocket diaper because they come highly recommended and a few cloth diaper accessories (some wipes and liners). I also love that this store ships to the US for free, just in case I can't get there again anytime soon ;).
      I have been using a variety of diapers with Mason. I plan to use his new Blueberry pocket diaper today and I have a Fuzzibunz coming to try. So far, my favorite brand hands down is the Flip diaper with either a Flip insert or a prefold diaper. I think it will continue to be my favorite because I just like the idea better than a pocket diaper....it's cheaper and much easier to use (no stuffing an insert or removing a wet/ dirty insert later). The Flip diaper with a long prefold folded over in front for extra protection is my go to night time choice for Mason. So far no leaks/ wicking with that ;).
     I have also discovered that the inserts that come with pocket diapers are worthless! They are crap! Keep in mind I haven't tried the Fuzzibunz or the Blueberry, so I am hoping to change my mind ;). What I have discovered that works the best with pocket diapers is a Flip insert (see why I LOVE my Flips ;).
     The pocket diapers we have tried are Bumgenius 4.0, Bumkins, a generic one from Amazon, and Mommy's Touch. The worst diaper by far is the Mommy's Touch. I tried HARD to like this diaper...it's just almost totally worthless. I tried it with it's insert....it bunched up and it leaked all over Mason. Then I tried a different insert in it....same problem. Then I tried a prefold, that was too bulky and kept sliding off of Mason. Then I tried a Flip insert with it, that worked better, but keeps me from using it in a Flip cover :(.
     So far as you can see I have made the transition very easily, I'm still working on getting Doug on board. He has had a few lessons and helped changed a few cloth diapers too ;). I think for now, on the rare occasion that I leave Doug with Mason, he will be in disposables.

2 comments:

  1. Flips are so fun. As for the BG inserts, if you're using the long insert, they're great. The short insert is so thin that I actually use two of them in Eudora's diapers. (I have extras because I have some BGs in Norton's stash with the long inserts.) Blueberry's long inserts are great for overnights, even on my toddler, providing I wrap them with bamboo. You'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that I am not the only one that finds certain (or any) cloth diapers 'fun' ;). I switched to cloth diapering about a month ago, and I have become TOTALLY obsessed! I have started my own cloth diaper blog to have an outlet for this obsession.

    BTW- I have started using the Blueberry at night with the long insert plus the small insert...works great! No leaks ;).

    ReplyDelete