Friday, December 7, 2012

The Sign Language Experiment Conitinues

   I have been trying to teach Mason to learn some simple signs to help him communicate with us. I decided to limit it to 5 signs to keep things simple as possible. The signs I decided I wanted to teach him are 'eat', 'milk', 'more', 'please' and 'thank you'. I started teaching him about about 6-7 months, because I figured earlier is better. I also knew at that age not to expect much, but I have kept on trying. At first all he did was to look at me like I was crazy and he'd laugh. I still kept trying though. To this day he still looks at me like I am crazy and laughs. I have also added one more sign, 'finished'  (all done). I still keep trying ;). I don't know what the issue is. I thought he would have picked up one or two of the signs.....but nope :(. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?? Maybe I'm expecting too much (but I don't think so, other children I've known can sign several signs by his age)???? Maybe he's stubborn and he'll do it when he's darn good and ready??? Personally, I think it's the last question :P. He's done everything else on his own, sweet time.
    Any ideas on things to try will be appreciated ;). Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment